Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Farewell Fairfield

This post is about three months overdue, but here goes. 

After 4 years and 7 months of working an 8 hour overnight graveyard shift, I finally left my job at the Fairfield Inn in Provo Utah. 

My journey began at the Fairfield in August of 2009. I had recently moved to Provo Utah from New York City. I had previously been a nanny, a stage manager and a musical theater student/Broadway hopeful. I moved back to Utah from New York because I was in love with a boy named Steven who I knew would be coming back from his church mission in Germany and attending BYU that fall. 

When I first moved to Provo I was still attempting to be a Mary Kay consultant, (That's another post for another day...or never. I don't really want to talk about it) and failing miserably. I needed a real job. Anything. 

I was taking summer classes at BYU and a friend in my dance class (Yeah, I used to be a bit of a dancer too...) worked the night shift at the Residence Inn in Provo and told me about a job opening down at the Fairfield. 

I didn't have a car, but I had my old bicycle that I rode everywhere, so down I went to South Provo to drop off a resume. I still remember what I was wearing. Holey jeans and a hand-me-down T-shirt. Hahah. This is only a significant memory because as I was filling out the application to turn in with my resume, out walked the then-manager who said that if I had time he would just interview me right then! 
Longer story short, I got the job. On the spot right then. Because I said I could work nights. 

I worked nights for over 4 years after that. 

Some significant memories: 
-Getting robbed at "gunpoint" (Turns out the guy didn't really have a gun, but he said he did, so same emotional reaction)
-Having a coworker tell us that one of the vacant rooms had an evil spirit, but it was okay because he "banished it with his Priesthood".
-Throwing a coworker a going away party where we all put on fake tattoos
-My first work Christmas party where we tried to have a pinata and it ended with a lot of people getting hit in the face with a broom
-Showing my old boss Mike my engagement ring the weekend after Steven proposed
-All my coworkers making me a cute birthday/wedding congrats sign with highlighter markers
-Volunteering at Habitat for Humanity with my coworkers every Fall, and that one time where we went to a corn maze afterwards
-"Minute to Win it" games during the first ever "Fairfield Summer Olympics".
-Heading up work meetings and inventing fun games to help everyone memorize stuff
-The time Jenna said her favorite color was "Glitter"
-The time Wade said his favorite color was "Tickle Me Elmo"
-All the times Wade drew shirtless pictures of Ben. (I still have those by the way...)
-That one time a naked drunk guy flashed me 
-All of the horrible memories surrounding a creeper homeless guy named "Stan"
-Finding a My Little Pony toy in the lost and found and hiding it in Ben's office...where he kept it always after that. It watches over him. 
-Finding "Fifty Shades of Grey" in the lost and found and reading it out loud with Katie. 
-That time Jenna told Ben she could fit in a dryer. 
-Everything else about Jenna. 
-That time that Ben grew a horrendous beard and we nicknamed him "The Beard" and stroked our chins behind his back while whispering his personal catchphrase, "You will be fired!" 
-All the times I heart-attacked or otherwise surprise decorated people's offices or work spaces for holidays
-Working Christmas every Christmas for 4 years and wearing my Santa hat to stay motivated
-Getting a huge raise after I manned up and asked for it
Of course over 4 years there are a lot of accumulated memories of things, so the list could go on and on. 

The story of getting my new job is for another post. For now, it's time to finally say goodbye to Fairfield. The good, the bad, and the downright ugly, is behind me. I've opened a new chapter, but I will always be grateful for the journey of the hotel night shift, and the over 80 people I got to work with along the way. 

...Yeah, the turnover rate there is insane. 
Fairwell old friend 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I like that! Only not if you are a troller. Unless you are a trolololololler, then that is ok.