Wednesday, August 21, 2013

An Unexpected Friendship

I've been thinking about writing this post for over a week now and haven't been able to figure out how, because it involves a lot of confessions of immaturity.

But here goes.

Thing #1: Sometimes girls are dumb.

A couple summers ago a friend of a friend who was a girl thought some things about me that were not true, and said some things about me that were not nice. I referenced it briefly in my Resolution blog post back in January. The aftermath of this incident caused me to not only be filled with bitterness and resentment towards this person, but also deep sadness that someone thought something about me that wasn't true and there was nothing I could do about it.

These bitter and hard feelings caused all kinds of awful thoughts on my part. Along with the gossip and ridiculous social media comparing, I would often vent my anger to friends or post snarky things on my Pinterest.



For the duration of the last couple years it was always a nagging thought in the back of my mind, "Someone doesn't like me." "Someone thinks I am something I am not." "Someone said mean things to me and I want to say mean things back!"

It made me crazy. I dreaded running into this girl or ever seeing her again. I worried that she would hurt me more or that I would do or say something I'd regret.

She said mean things to a friend of mine as well, but later apologized to her, which increased my bitterness thinking *I* deserved an apology first!

Girls are so dumb and petty that way.

Regardless to say, I didn't do so well on my "Don't Gossip" New Years Resolution.


Thing #2: Sometimes people surprise you.

A week ago this girl sent me a message on Facebook.

When I saw it, my immediate reaction was:


I was so wary and apprehensive about what she would say to me after all this time.

The message was an apology.

Thing #3: There are just some things you can't apologize for.


JUST KIDDING! 
I just saw this hysterical ecard and thought it should be included.  

Thing #4: Despite what Timbaland thinks...It's never too late to apologize.


It took me an hour of messaging back and forth before I let down my selfish walls and accepted that she was really trying to apologize. She knew what she had said and done was wrong, and she really wanted to change.
She was a nice person.

Thing #5: Sometimes human beings are wrong about each other.


After chatting for several hours and letting out all the feels, asking all the questions, letting go of the hurting and the anger, I realized that not only did I feel all light and weightless and immensely happy, but also, I really liked this girl!

Thing #6: Sometimes Love is just waiting to flood in.


Now that all of the anger and bitterness was gone, I realized that in it's place was an overwhelming love for this girl! I admired her courage so much to come to me and apologize after all this time. We bonded over all the ridiculous things we'd said and thought about each other before we knew better.

Thing #7: Sometimes your worst enemy is just your new best friend in disguise.

And then this happened...

So yes. The girl that I loathed and hated and resented for the last two years is now my friend.

So to sum up,
Sometimes girls are petty and dumb.
You might think you know everything about a person, but they can still surprise you.
It's NEVER too late to apologize!
You might think you have someone all figured out, but you just might be wrong when you actually get to know them.
When you let go of anger, you give love a chance.
Your new best friend might be hiding inside of someone that you think you'll never like. :)

I guess it boils down to:

The end. :) 

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad she apologized and you girls can be friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about you so much last night, you have made me a better person! I love you Rebekah, I am so glad we are friends! :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a comment! I like that! Only not if you are a troller. Unless you are a trolololololler, then that is ok.