Thursday, August 2, 2012

Fourth of July 2012

Ok, so I'm a month behind on the bloggy blog, but I still want to  blog about the very important holiday, Independence Day.

I love America. My mom was a diligent record keeper, and according to my baby remembrance books, "You're a Grand Old Flag" was my first favorite song when I was like...two? She thinks I was probably a patriot in heaven. Patriotism swells in the heart of the American bear. :) Ten points if you know what movie that reference is from. TEN.

Since the 4th fell on a Wednesday I worked the night shift both coming in and going out of it. Normally I get right off work at 7am and come straight home. This particular morning it took me almost an hour because all of the roads we shut down for the parade and the marathon. I love parades, but this was not my favorite part of the day.

It looked like this in every direction around my house. 
I did not do this...
Nor did I have a street fight, but I was amused that these
were two of the images that came up when I googled
"Road Rage". 

As soon as I finally managed to get home to my own house with my own free parking space I had to convince Steven to wake up and come to the parade with me. No easy task.


***I just google searched "Sleepy husband" to add some graphics for you. Here are a few samples of what popped up. ...Whaaaaat??!?***

Steven does not look like this when he sleeps.
He closes his eyes.
But good luck to the wife of this creepy guy...
Apparently this is someone's sleepy husband??
And then there was this one. Under "Sleepy Husband". 
Whaaaaaat? Sparta??? 
Hopefully that adequately illustrates how tired Steven was. 

Fortunately for me, Steven is awesome. He is a good sport, and he puts up with my crazy obsessive love of Patriotic parades. He agreed to get up and get ready and we were on our way to Center Street in Provo by 9:30 to watch the parade. 

Steven and I both wore new shirts I had bought for just such an occasion. His read, "Support our troops" and had a picture of Star Wars storm troopers. ;) haha. 

Doesn't he look handsome? :) 

I bought this super cute tank top! Yay America!

We were about an hour early for the parade getting to us. It starts way up near BYU and we were at the tail end.
We had a lot of time to wait and try and find a good spot to watch from. 

Finally the parade began! With the bang of a cannon, here comes the troops!!


The Utah 4th of July parade features many aspects of Utah culture including: 


Llamas from the Llama Fest in Spanish fork, 


Country Music from..well...everywhere in Utah...



Old-timey vehicles from the National road shows that are annually hosted, 


A tribute to WalMart...of course....



And floats and bands from every high school in Utah County!


Also I go to this school now. :) 


This is the most frightening balloon of my life. 

America: We have big guns. 
 One of my favorite, if not MOST favorite parts of the parade were the bag-pipe bands! I love the weird sound of bagpipes. :D




 Also, these acrobatic horse-women were super impressive! 


 

 After the parade I took a nap. That evening we met up with Richey, Whitney and mom and dad Lindsley for a family BBQ and a trip to the fair!
Steven bought a new sword a the medieval sword booth.

It looks a lot like this one. I'm too lazy to go take a picture of the actual sword he bought...haha. 
 After perusing the many amazing booths we headed back to our place for some patriotic pie!
Ok, it was cake...but pie sounded catchier.


I made this! 
Don't judge that my cake looks like a 4-year old may have put it together. I was trying to hurry so I didn't cut all the berries to matching sizes.

Patriotic Family! I especially like Whitney's headband. 

After cake I headed into work an hour early so that my coworkers could beat the firework traffic. I was a little bummed that I missed out on seeing the Fireworks this year, but happy that I had such a great day with family. 

God Bless America!

Also, it wouldn't be fourth of July if I didn't watch this. 

Best. Version. Ever. RIP Whitney. <3 div="div" nbsp="nbsp">



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment! I like that! Only not if you are a troller. Unless you are a trolololololler, then that is ok.